Recently I was asked to investigate why no alerts for a Cluster Shared Volume were received due to it filing up. The short version was that SCOM didn’t discover the CSV’s of the cluster. But other clusters configured in the exact same way on the same hardware ect had the CSV’s discovered and was monitored. Strange.
I stared of in the usual method but manually running discovery, restarting the SCOM agents, flushing the cache and checking the event logs… nothing. So I started digging into the SCOM configuration and see how does discovery work and why would it be failing.
As a cluster is Agentless Monitored I found that the clusters Virtual Server Name was incorrectly discovered. It was missing the last character.
Running: “Get-SCOMAgentlessManagedComputer” and finding the clusters details:
ManagementGroup : XXXXXXX
Computer : XXXXXXXXXSCLUSTE.connecteast.local
LastModified : 14/01/2015 1:20:52 AM
Name : XXXXXXXXXSCLUSTE.testdomain.local
DisplayName : XXXXXXXXXSCLUSTE.testdomain.local
HealthState : Uninitialized
PrincipalName : XXXXXXXXXSCLUSTE.testdomain.local
ComputerName : XXXXXXXXXSCLUSTE
Domain : testdomain
IPAddress : 10.10.1.100
ProxyAgentPrincipalName : XXXXXPRDHYP26.testdomain.local
Id : f345538e-03b8-f673-da83-2bd2f49a53a8
ManagementGroupId : f71ed7ba-0ae9-f130-8b74-11fda2c11ba1
Doing some more checking on the cluster I found that the Name (NetBIOS name) and DNS name didn’t match. By running this command on one of the Hyper-V servers I was able to verify this dependency: